Thursday, July 17, 2014

Truth - Communication

I decided that every so often I'm going to try and right more about the "truth".  About what our struggles were in the first year of having a new baby and being newlyweds. I think its something most people don't talk about and sometimes you wonder if you're the only one experiencing these feelings.  What I have found is, your not.  I used to read the other mom blogs and think, they have it all together! Maybe I'm not cut out for this. But the truth is, Yes I am.  I am an amazing mother. But I want to be honest and share the struggles too.  It's really all about balance.

No matter how many articles you read, or questions you ask, nothing prepares you for parenthood.  Your life will never be the same and the changes will be immeasurable.  At times, its incredibly hard.  You feel like you’re just digging in and hanging on for awhile, whether it be teething, sickness, just waiting for them to get a little bit older or waiting for them to actually sleep through the night….

It’s been extremely hard on us to say the least, but you know, I think Mr H. would agree, we’ve gotten stronger, we’ve learned to communicate better, we’ve become each other’s best friends (more than we were before), we know everything about each other, we lean on each other in every situation, we’re really a team and we both know the journey it’s been to get here because we did it together.  Every battle I went through, whether it was breastfeeding or sleepless nights, he has been there every step of the way.  He knows me better than I know myself.  For that I’m thankful. 

I know what it’s like to be a new mom that feels incredibly alone at times and I encourage you to talk to someone. You’ll find out its completely normal. (My inbox is always open.)  Then tell your partner how you feel.  It is so important to communicate what is going on.  Even if its, “Hey honey, I’m feeling really disconnected from you.”  Because you will.  Then work together to make changes that feel better.  Don’t wait.  Don’t internalize. Talk about it immediately so there is a resolution and you can be the best team for your kids.

Milton Berle
“If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?”
― Milton Berle

No comments:

Post a Comment